This course will present a review of the standard deduction, who qualifies to claim it, and what circumstances allow some taxpayers to claim a higher standard deduction.
After completing this course, the student will:
- Understand how standard deduction prior to Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Recognize who qualifies for a higher standard deduction, and who does not
- Recall the qualifications to determine who is a dependent
- Identify the qualifying child requirements
- Be familiar with the difference between a qualifying child and a qualifying relative
- Describe the difference between custodial and noncustodial parent