The AFSP is an annual voluntary program for tax return preparers. It aims to recognize the efforts of non-credentialed tax return preparers who aspire to a higher level of professionalism.
How do I obtain an AFSP-Record of Completion for Filing Season?
• Take a six (6) hour Annual Federal Tax Refresher (AFTR) course that covers filing season issues and tax law updates, as well
as a knowledge-based comprehension test administered at the end of the course by the CE Provider.
• Take ten (10) hours of other federal tax law topics; and
• Take two (2) hours of ethics.
• Have an active preparer tax identification number (PTIN).
• Consent to adhere to Circular No. 230.
Benefits of Completing the AFSP
IRS Tax Preparer Directory
Be included in the public directory of tax return preparers on the IRS website.
Record of Completion
Earn a certificate of completion directly from the IRS to showcase in your office!
You will be able to represent clients during an examination of a return that you prepared.