California law requires anyone who prepares tax returns for a fee within the State of California and is not an exempt preparer to register as a tax preparer with the California Tax Education Council (CTEC).
All New CTEC Registered Tax Preparers (CRTP) must...
• Complete 60-hours (45 hours • federal and 15 hours state) of qualifying tax education from a CTEC Approved Provider
• Pass a background check and live scan
• Obtain a PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) from the IRS
• Purchase a $5,000 tax preparer bond
• Register with CTEC within 18 months from the completion date on the certificate of completion
• Registration Fee with CTEC $33
To renew your registration all CRTPs must...
• Complete 20-hours (10 hours federal tax law, 3 hours federal tax update, 2 hours of Ethics and 5 hours for State) of continuing tax education each year
• Maintain a valid PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) from the IRS
• Maintain a $5,000 tax preparer bond
• Renew the registration by October 31st of each year
• Renewal Registration with CTEC $33
Benefits of a CRTP
IRS Tax Preparer Directory
Be included in the public directory of tax return preparers on the IRS website.
Refreshed for Tax Season
You will learn the latest updates every year you renew with CTEC
You will be able to represent clients during an examination of a return that you prepared if you sign the Circular 230 form.